Happy Holidays! Here are a few tips to help keep your pets happy and safe during this festive season.
Foods to be aware of: Grapes, raisins and currents can cause kidney failure in dogs. Chocolate and cocoa contains theobromine, a highly toxic chemical to both cats and dogs. The sweetener xylitol (a sugar substitute found in candies) can cause fatal drops in blood sugar and liver failure in dogs. Lastly, be aware of leftovers. Feeding these to your pet can result in stomach upset, diarrhea, and pancreatitis.
Holiday Ornaments: Decorations such as old fashion bubble lights may contain poisonous chemicals which will irritate skin, eyes, and insides. Glass and metal ornaments can damage mouths and insides if eaten.
Tinsel: When a pet ingests tinsel it can result in what is called a “linear foreign body” which can cause severe damage and even death to your beloved pet.
Liquid Potpourri: These oils can cause severe chemical burns to your pets.
Antifreeze: As little as 1 teaspoon can be fatal to cats and small dogs.
Plants: Contrary to popular belief, poinsettia plants are only mildly toxic when ingested. Plants to watch include lilies, holly, and mistletoe. A few bites can cause permanent kidney damage.
Alcohol: Besides holiday drinks, alcohol can be found in certain baking as well. Unbaked dough can react in the stomach and alcohol can be produced from the yeast fermenting in stomach acid.
If your pet gets into any of the above holiday dangers, call us as soon as possible to treat any problems.
Wishing you a Wonderful Holiday Season!
Written by: Talbot Animal Clinic